Greetings, gentle reader.
I finally have a little chance to circle back to Sandy’s love life. She wrote me some follow-up questions that I address in the video. Basic points to make about this card:
- The swords in this card represents thoughts and words that limit the querent’s ability to move. While this can involve other people stabbing you in the back, as with Sandy’s ex, it always involves the thoughts, words, and ideas of the querent. In this case I referenced a number of negative beliefs and ideas that were apparent in Sandy’s question:
- She doesn’t feel attractive
- She believes her reputation has suffered as a result of her relationship
- A rich man is the best or only way to get happy in life
- She doesn’t “deserve” [her word!] a rich man unless she looks or is a certain way
- I was given an analogy of a woman riding a horse. Say a princess has a horse that she loves. She wants to breed it with a horse of her cousin’s, who lives not far away. One day she saddles up the horse and they head off in a different direction than usual. The horse gets all panicky, thinking it doesn’t know where it’s headed, or how it will get there, believing that it must come up with its own plan for survival, as if there were no rider. The princess is not going far, and has made more than ample provisions for the horse — better than he can imagine. But the horse insists on trying to head down each road looking for an apple orchard just in case the trip is too hard and there’s no food when they arrive. Then the princess must keep kicking and redirecting the horse to keep it on track, which of course wastes a lot of time and energy. Then the horse complains about being kicked in the guts, just like Sandy. We are all the vehicles our higher selves have chosen to ride to our perfect destinations, picking u the experiences we need along the way. Trust in that.
- There is a Zen practice of releasing your insistence. Basically when you give the universe an ultimatum as Sandy has done, “I won’t be happy unless _______” life calls your bluff every time. Sometimes when you want things so much, the best thing to do is give up. Become okay with never getting the thing you want. And then if it fits in with the grander scheme of your life, it often falls into place. And if it isn’t part of your higher self’s agenda, there’s nothing you can do to make it happen anyway.
- What if someone offered Sandy some sort of fellowship or position where she would travel around exciting places, doing what she loves to do? Should she say no, I need to focus on finding a rich man? I believe the sort of man I’d like to see her with would be more attracted to someone who was quite enjoying her own company. The sort of man who wants a desperate woman at a severe disadvantage probably has some ugly tricks up his sleeve. This is especially so with Sandy’s Mars on Antares and Machiavelli/Ceres on the Descendant.
- When the 10 of Swords comes up, keep in mind that it’s always darkest before the dawn. This is a time for reinvention, something you can celebrate if you look at it from the High Priestess‘ point of view. The High Priestess life path card is for those of us on the road less traveled. People who marry their high school sweethearts have a different sort of life challenge than we do, us High Priestess types. Know that you will succeed through magic, not plotting or plodding.
- Example: I knew a woman in Brazil who very much wanted to be in a relationship. Her motivation was emotional and personal: she wanted a mate. She was not especially attractive, but also not desperate. My friend was okay with marrying an ordinary Brazilian. She wanted someone who got her, and vice versa. Meanwhile Brazil is full of half-naked women who could be supermodels, with amazing faces and bodies. Not prostitutes, just very attractive women who are interested in marrying “up and out,” to a wealthier country. Lots of competition, extremely beautiful women. My friend would not have stood a chance in that game. Trump wouldn’t hire her to bus tables at Mar A Lago. But she kept on doing her thing, and met the perfect guy for her. They are equally weird in different ways, and they get along great. He’s an American from Hawaii. So she ended up moving to one of the fanciest parts of America. And I bet she has never once put on make-up or straightened her hair, ever once. Your mileage may vary. But the bottom line is, your higher self already has things planned for you. You must step aside and let the divine lead.